The collective exhale has begun. Here’s what you need to know:
- Novell is (contrary to popular opinion) still here.
- SUSE and our contributions to OpenSUSE will continue.
- Novell is now private.
- Importantly, Chipotle has replaced Novell on the S&P 500.
- Provo, Utah is the new headquarters of the Novell business unit.
- Houston, Tx will be the corporate headquarters (HQ), and HQ for the NetIQ business Unit
- ?We’re hiring.
After 15 months of wondering, Novell has been acquired by Attachmate Group and will (as expected) continue on as Novell and SUSE, two of the four business-units of the overall company. Furthermore, Provo’s Novell Campus has been re-established as the headquarters of the Novell business unit.
Along with the new company organization, SUSE Linux will (as expected) move back "home" to Nuremberg, and Nils Brauckmann, new chief for SUSE has stated the desire to keep moving forward with both SUSE and with contributing to FOSS and the OpenSUSE project. (Hopefully, some in the community will be able to rest easier going-forward.)
Novell has had many chapters in its 28-year history and today marks the start of a new, exciting chapter. Change brings new opportunities, new adventures, and new teammates. As Novell joins forces with The Attachmate Group, the result will be a powerful portfolio of companies united by a common purpose and dedicated team.
Interested in what is next, I’m blinking into the light of this new day for Novell.