Seizure Scare and Update

Today has been an interesting one, to say the least.

About 8:30 this morning, I was in the last few minutes of my routine before heading out the door for work, when K (5) was complaining a little as she came down the stairs. This isn’t uncommon if she feels over-tired, so I wasn’t too concerned.

She stopped talking to me mid-sentence, so I looked over to her from across the kitchen, and she had sat down on the stairs, was laying flat on her back, and I could tell something was wrong.

Running to her, I could tell she was unconscious. I called Cel to call 911. Ab and Ax came running to help, too.

Her breathing and things were fine, and we’ve seen this before (afterall). Still, the incredible feeling of helplessness that washes over you in a situation like this is unmistakable… and unwanted!

After the paramedics came (less than 10 minutes from call to arrival), they noticed her eyes moving under her eyelids and mentioned they thought she was about out of it.

Within about 5 more minutes, she woke up, confused at where she was and why there were four paramedics, a gurney, and two (count-em) fire engines outside!

The paramedics took her pulse, checked a few other things, helped calm us down, and got the other information they needed for their reports. They invited K to come by the firehouse anytime to let them know she was OK.

Within minutes, the phone was ringing from neighbors hoping things were OK, and offering help. Also, I had sent a note to my boss, detailed a bit of what happened, to which he replied I should take care of things at home and deal with work later.

Soon after that, I took our other kids to their grandmother’s house, and then met up with Cel and K at the doctor’s office. She got to be in the “Cheetah Room” which was really exciting for her and helped pass the wait.

The doctor’s tests confirmed his suspicion that what she experienced is a mild seizure. This is not the first time this has happened to K, so we’re on seizure watch with her, and anticipating the results of a battery of tests that we hope will turn out positive.

After leaving there, we went to the hospital to get bloodwork done, and now we wait to take her back in for an MRI and an EEG. The EEG won’t be fun because they are to be done after only allowing the child to sleep for four hours, to see the effect of sleep deprivation on the heart.

At home, K rested for a little bit, then reminded us about the paramedics’ invitation. She determined to draw a picture for them, which we took and presented. In return, she got a great tour of the firehouse, and a cuddly teddy bear as a gift.

K's Heroes

Thanks to all our family, friends, neighbors and co-workers who have sent well-wishes. Your continued thoughts and prayers are appreciated!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s