I don’t have any idea why this was launched nearly a month ago and I am just finding it, but I think Facebook Chat is a pretty cool idea… and NOT because it’s “CHAT”.
Nevermind that TechCrunch somehow knew about Facebook Chat and I didn’t… must have been that day twitter was down..
First a few screenshots:
The first shows my facebook homepage, with a new “toolbar” along the bottom and a notifications window that pops up:
The second screenshot is a closeup of the status box, showing 9 online friends… 3 active, and 6 idle… and their statuses:
End of the day, I like this tool simply because its providing a drop-dead simple way to:
- Touch in with people simply
- Find out what’s happening in my network
- Communicate with people as-needed in the same place I find them (it is inefficient to use one tool to locate someone and then another tool to communicate with them when you find them!)
I don’t know if FB CHAT has additional features, but I would like it to:
- Integrate with my existing IM client… let me be online via FB chat or another IM tool, and let people find me through their own vector of accessing it.
- Integrate with twitter… or at least FacebookMobile. send me a FB chat and DM it to my twitter client or FB registered cell phone.